Figurative Language Sort on Sticky Notes:
This figurative language sticky note sort product now includes a digital distance learning option in Google Slides™. Please refer to the final 7 pages of the product for the link and instructions.
This figurative language activity includes hyperboles, metaphors, similes, puns, proverbs/adages, idioms, onomatopoeia, personification, and alliteration.
There are over 200 figures of speech, designed to be printed on sticky notes, that can be categorized in each area. Created for 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, this activity is perfect for individuals, pairs, small groups, or the whole class.
- There are full color cards and category toppers for students who are new to figures of speech (or for ESL students who are learning the language). Each figure of speech is color coded (all idioms are green, for example).
- The black and white sticky notes and category toppers are designed for students who are familiar with figures of speech, but need practice.
The answer sheets are also differentiated. You can choose to:
- allow students to do the activity without an answer sheet
- use the answer sheet that simply requires students to write the number of each figure of speech next to the correct category
- use the answer sheet that also requires students to provide evidence for their choice
IDEAS FOR USE:
- as a test review
- as a game- groups work to complete the activity first (with the highest accuracy)
- as an introduction for each figure of speech (the color coded set)
- as an evaluation
- during stations on a bulletin board or white board
- as a catalyst for a class discussion on figures of speech
- as a review at the beginning of the year for students who have been exposed to figurative language
NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE YOUR OWN 3″x3″ STICKY NOTES!
NOTE: THIS FILE NOW INCLUDES A DIGITAL DISTANCE LEARNING OPTION!
As of 9/24/20, this product includes a digital option (as well as the no prep printable option). The instructions for utilizing the digital portion appear at the end of the packet.
- A Google Drive account
- If sharing with students, a Drive account that is linked to student Google accounts
- Can be shared/delivered on Google Classroom
- Only need access to Google Drive–no outside links to worry about!
These file can be used with iPads, chrome books, laptops, and desktops as long as your students have access to Google Drive or Classroom on a device. The digital portion of this product is on Google Slides™.
This file includes 106 pages + Google Slides™.
- Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY. Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden. If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
- You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid). Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
- Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.