Red: A Crayon’s Story Activities:
This file now includes a digital distance learning option in Google Slides™. Please refer to the final 7 pages of the product for the link and instructions.
This picture book, Red: A Crayon’s Story, by Michael Hall is perfect for teaching students about acceptance, compassion, empowerment, friendship, and celebrating who they are! Red is a crayon who is expected to create things that are red. With the help from his friends and family, he continues to try and try, but can’t seem to get it right. One day, a new friend asks him to create an ocean and he experiences success for the first time in his life (because he realizes he is actually blue on the inside)!
Though the message in this story is applicable for many ages, this product was created specifically for 2nd-6th grade. Please check the preview to determine the appropriateness for your own class of students.
This story can be applicable to students in so many different ways, but I chose to focus on this list of topics:
- 14 discussion questions in list form and in task card form (some are text dependent and some are designed as reflection questions)
- An optional answer sheet for the 14 discussion questions
- A self-acceptance printable
- A peer pressure printable
- A writing prompt with an optional back page
- You are a STAR (write positive things about one of your classmates)
- A printable about labels given to people (positive labels and negative labels)
- 5 full color posters with inspirational quotes that applicable to the story (all 5 posters are also available in black-and-white)
- 5 printables that correspond to the quotes (each printable asks students how they can apply the quotes to their own lives)
NOTE: THIS FILE NOW INCLUDES A DIGITAL DISTANCE LEARNING OPTION!
As of 9/2/20, this product includes a digital option (as well as the no prep printable option). The instructions for utilizing the digital portion appear at the end of the packet.
- A Google Drive account
- If sharing with students, a Drive account that is linked to student Google accounts
- Can be shared/delivered on Google Classroom
- Only need access to Google Drive–no outside links to worry about!
These file can be used with iPads, chrome books, laptops, and desktops as long as your students have access to Google Drive or Classroom on a device. The digital portion of this product is on Google Slides™.
If you have questions about the content of this product, please ask prior to your purchase, as I am happy to help you decide if this product is right for your needs.
This file contains 40 pages + Google Slides™.
- Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY. Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden. If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
- You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid). Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
- Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.