Owen and Mzee Activities:
This Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship activities file now includes a digital distance learning option in Google Slides™. Please refer to the final 7 pages of the file for the link and instructions.
Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship by Isabella Hatkoff, Craig Hatkoff, and Dr. Paula Kahumbu is a sweet narrative nonfiction story about an unlikely friendship between a tortoise and a hippo. This literature unit has been created for 2nd to 4th grade (2nd graders may need extra support with cause and effect and a few other skills).
The Owen and Mzee literature unit flip book includes:
- compare and contrast
- ABC order
- cause and effect
- first, next, then, and last
Following the flip book pages, you will find no prep printables for:
- who, what, when, where, why, how?
- writing a friendly letter
- researching tortoises and hippos
- comprehension questions
- a writing prompt
- answer keys for pages that need them
NOTE: THIS FILE NOW INCLUDES A DIGITAL DISTANCE LEARNING OPTION!
As of 1/8/21, this product includes a digital option (as well as the no prep printable option). The instructions for utilizing the digital portion appear at the end of the packet.
- A Google Drive account
- If sharing with students, a Drive account that is linked to student Google accounts
- Can be shared/delivered on Google Classroom
- Only need access to Google Drive–no outside links to worry about!
These file can be used with iPads, chrome books, laptops, and desktops as long as your students have access to Google Drive or Classroom on a device. The digital portion of this product is on Google Slides.
This file contains 34 pages + Google Slides™.
- Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY. Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden. If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
- You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid). Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
- Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.